Posted by Len Gilbert on March 15, 2013
Big O – The Big Band of Oakland Public School Music Teachers
What a lineup! 5 trumpets, 5 saxaphones, 5 trombones, with piano, bass, and drums. Guitar handled by Piedmont’s Randy Porter.
Big O is the Big Band of Oakland Unified School District music teachers who come together in this ensemble to practice what they preach. Band members perform in many other ensembles from Latin, swing, Brazilian, avant guarde, classical and other traditions bringing together their wealth of experience into this swinging group.
Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 8pm @ Yoshi’s
Posted in General News, School | Tagged: big band, music, OUSD | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Len Gilbert on December 10, 2012
Please come on out and support THE WAITING ROOM and local non-profits and businesses this week at Grand Lake Theater! We will be running nightly special screenings for the 7:30 shows.
Monday, December 10| Holiday Food Drive | 7:30 pm
- Donate four (4) canned or non-perishable food items for a pair of free tickets for the 7:30 pm show. Proceeds support Alameda County Community Food Bank….
Tuesday, December 11 | BOGOF | 7:30 pm
- Buy one ticket, get one free + free popcorn Tuesday.
Wednesday, December 12 | Movie & Mixer | 7:30 pm
- We will invite TWR partners, stakeholders, and organizations to brainstorm ideas how we can amplify awareness of the film. Q&A/ special appearance at 7:30 pm show – Director Pete Nicks
Thursday, December 13 | Thankful Thursday | 7:30 pm
- Cupcakes from James & the Giant Cupcake! Raffle drawings for Oaklandish|TWR tees, posters, stickers, and Oaklandish pins. Q&A/ special appearance at 7:30 pm show – Director Pete Nicks
Check out the remaining showtimes here: http://goo.gl/efCrg. Thanks for your support of all the beautiful people in the waiting room!!
Posted in General News | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Len Gilbert on December 7, 2012
I got this in my email and they look interesting. Oakland Urban Paths is hosting a series of walks in our area. For more details, see their website at http://www.oaklandurbanpaths.org
Hi Oakland Urban Pathers
If we’re not already on your calendar, mark the date and join us for our third annual Walk and Shop this Saturday, December 8th.
We’ll explore the neighborhoods connecting Lakeshore, Grand and Piedmont Avenues. It’s a truly a lovely walk with lake, cemetary and creek views a plenty.
When we get to Piedmont Avenue, we’ll take a break for some shopping and snacking. Walkers from years past have appreciated having this dedicated time to get gifts and support Oakland businesses.
We will also have a variety of cool Oakland walking goods for sale including Walk Oakland Maps, the Secret Stairs of the East Bay book and authentic OUP shirts.
These wares make excellent holiday gifts!
Posted in General News | Tagged: Oakland Urban Paths, walk, Walk Oakland Bike Oakland | Leave a Comment »
Posted by Len Gilbert on December 1, 2012
Enjoy some time in our Holiday room with hot cider and cookies before beginning your voyage around Lake Merritt.
Experience a unique view of Oakland as your Water Sleigh glides past the 18th Street Fountain & Holiday Cove before returning to the Boating Center.
- Thursday Tour December 20th from 4pm to 8pm*
- Friday Tours December 7th, 14th, & 21st from 4pm to 8pm*
- Saturday Tours December 8th, 15th, & 22nd from 3pm to 8pm*
- Sunday Tours December 9th, 16th, & 23rd from 3pm to 8pm*
*6pm tours available for individual participants. Other tours are whole boat charter only.
Bring your caroling voice. Enjoy Lake Merritt. Candy Cane treats. Song sheets provided
Water Sleigh $6/person
$100 Private Charter (capacity 19)
Call for reservations 510-238-2196
Cash/Visa & Master Card accepted
Tours Depart: Lake Merritt Boating Center ~inside Lakeside Park
568 Bellevue Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610
Download the Holiday Caroling Schedule
Posted in General News, Recreation | Leave a Comment »